English Speaking Club-Osvita, Meeting #447 "Beliefs & Opinions"
Time: February 28, 18:30 - 20:00
Place: Voskeresenska St. 23, Department of Documents in Foreign Languages, Dnipro Central Municipal Library
• To have a difference of opinion – “We get on well even though we often have a difference of opinion”
• To have an opinion on everything – “I can never relax around John, he has an opinion on everything!”
• Put forward – “I would like everyone to put forward their views and opinions in this discussion.”
• Put up with – “I don’t agree with his beliefs but I guess I just have to put up with them.”
• Do you avoid talking about controversial topics or do you enjoy it?
• Is it better to talk about and share opinions or keep them to yourself?
• Are you passionate about your beliefs?
• Do you ever try to impose your beliefs on others?
• Does anyone ever try to impose their beliefs onto you?
• Have you ever been afraid to share your beliefs with anyone?
• Do you have strong opinions on things? What things do you feel strongly about?
• How do you feel when someone disagrees with something you believe to be true?
• Do you ever get into arguments with people who have different beliefs or opinions as you?
• Are there any politicians or famous people whose opinions you strongly disagree with?
• What is the best way to deal with different opinions in the workplace?
• Do you consider other people’s opinions before making a decision?
• At work do you ever share your opinions on controversial issues? What type of response do you get?
• Do you always give your honest opinion or do you sometimes tell a white lie to avoid upsetting someone?
• Whose opinion do you value most?
Stating an opinion
In my opinion... If you want my honest opinion....
As far as I'm concerned...
If you ask me...
I think that
I’m pretty sure that
I honestly feel that
I believe that
I firmly believe…
I have reason to believe that…
Supporting an Opinion
It leads me to believe that…My opinion is based on the fact that…
The reason why I think…
When you consider that…
To start with
The way I see it...
Asking for an Opinion
What are your thoughts on all of this? How do you feel about that?
Do you have anything to say about this?
What do you think?
What’s your opinion about this?
Practice using the phrases above by answering the following question:
Which of the following do you believe in/agree with? Why?
TV causes violence
Life after death
Men are smarter than women
Alcohol should be illegal
Dogs are the best pets
Dreams have messages
Drugs should be lega