English Speaking Club-Osvita, Meeting #453 "ADVENTURE"
Time: April 11, 18:30 - 20:00
Place: Voskeresenska St. 23, Department of Documents in Foreign Languages, Dnipro Central Municipal Library
- Do you like to watch adventure movies?
- Do you consider yourself to be an adventurous person?
- What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
- Would you say that learning English is a kind of adventure?
- Could you say that life is a kind of adventure?
- If you could go back to another time and place, what time and place would you choose and why?
- Do you have any tatoos? If so, tell about how you got them. If not, would you ever consider getting a tatoo? Why or why not?
- Who's the most adventurous person in your family? Describe what they do.
- If you were offered a trip on the space shuttle, would you go? Why or why not?
- Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker? If so tell about it.
- How much is life an adventure?
- Tell about a road trip that you've taken.
- Have you ever tried any of the following: bungee jumping, snowboarding, parachuting, hanggliding? If so, tell about it.
- When you visit other countries, do you go as a tourist or a traveler?
- Tell about an adventure you've had on public transit.
- Would you want to climb Mt. Everest? Why or why not?
- Have you ever moved to a place far from your family and friends? If so, where did you go and why?
- Do you consider yourself an adventurous person? Why or why not?
- What's the most exciting thing you've ever done? Tell about it.
- How has your idea of adventure changed with age?
- Do you think that adreniline is addictive? Why or why not?
- What's your favorite adventure story, movie, or book? Tell about it.
- What countries (other than your own) would you like to live in? Why?
- If you had a great adventure, who would you like to have it with?
- Do you think your idea of adventure is the same as your parents’ ideas and your grandparents’ ideas?
- Which of these things should be part of an adventure - danger, romance, travel, discovery, or treasure? Can you think of any other things?
- Where would you like to go for an adventure – a jungle, a desert, a small island or a city?
Adventures Vocabulary Word List
A) Absorption, Accidents, Activity, Admiration, Adults, Adventurous, Advice, Advise, Affect, Aid, Allure, Anticipate, Approach, Attitude, Avoid
B) Balance, Beauty, Beginnings, Belief, Bravery, Bucket list
C) Calming, Cameras, Certainty, Challenges, Chance, Change, Children, Choices, Climbing, Collective, Community, Complications, Confidence, Conversations unique, Costs
D) Dangerous, Decisions, Descriptions, Desperate, Destination, Difficulty, Discomfort, Drama, Dreaming
E) Ease, Edgy, Effect, Effort, Enthusiasm, Environment, Excursion, Exploit
F) Factors, Factors, Fear, Females, Freaked, Free time, Friends
G) Get away, Guidance
H) Heading, Help, Hopes
I) Immediacy, Influences, Information, Informed, Intrepid, Island, Isolation, Itinerary
J) Journal, Joy, Jump
L) Language, Locale, Look forward to, Luggage
M) Magnetic, Major, Males, Management, Maneuver, Manner, Men, Minor, Monumental, Museums
N) Natural, Nature, Navigation, New, Now
O) Observations, Oceans, Odds, Opportunity, Optimistic, Organization, Overreach
P) Pessimism, Places, Planning, Potential, Preferences, Preparation, Presently, Prices, Pride, Purity
Q) Questions daring, Quiet
R) Rare, Requirements, Resistance
S) Safety, Sailing, Seas, Seeing, Simplicity, Singular, Sites, Sky, Solitude, Speculation, Sports, Sprint, Stomach-turning, Style, Suitcases, Surprising
T) Teens, Theater, Tickets, Timing, Tranquility, Travels, Traverse, Trip
U) Unexpected, Unusual
V) Vacation, Variety
W) Weather, Why not, Why wait, Women, Worry
Idioms and Phrases on Adventure with examples
1. At a good clip
Meaning: At a rapid pace/rapidly.
Example: The skaters glided at a good clip, but the troopers stopped them as soon as the time was up.
2. Travel across something
Meaning: To make a trip to some place.
Example: It's difficult to travel across the desert during summer.
3. In a body
Meaning: To travel anywhere in a group.
Example: My mom insisted me to be in a body whenever I go out, because the place we are transferred is far away from the city.
4. Mile a minute
Meaning: At a fast pace.
Example: A. As soon as the referee blew the whistle, the cyclists raced with mile a minute to win the race.
B. When she is very happy, she starts talking a mile a minute and it becomes very difficult for us to understand.
5. Off the beaten track
Meaning: Far places from popular routes.
Example: The resort we stayed in Mysore was completely off the beaten track.