English Speaking Club-Osvita, Meeting #455 Alternative Medicine
Time: April 25, 18:30 - 20:00
Place: Voskeresenska St. 23, Department of Documents in Foreign Languages, Dnipro Central Municipal Library
Whole medical systems involve complete systems of theory and practice that have evolved independently from or parallel to allopathic (conventional) medicine. Many are traditional systems of medicine that are practiced by individual cultures throughout the world. Major Eastern whole medical systems include traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), Kampo medicine (Japanese), and Ayurvedic medicine, one of India's traditional systems of medicine. Major Western whole medical systems include homeopathy and naturopathy. Other systems have been developed by Native American, African, Middle Eastern, Tibetan, and Central and South American cultures.
Topic Discussion Questions
1. What springs to mind when you hear the term ‘alternative medicine’?
2. What is ‘alternative’ about alternative medicine?
3. What alternative medicine do you know about?
4. Have you tried any alternative medicine?
5. Do you think alternative medicine is just a trend that goes in and out of fashion?
6. Do you think alternative medicine works?
7. What kind of people use alternative medicine?
8. Do you think alternative medicines work better than modern drugs?
9. Do you trust alternative medicine?
10. Do you think doctors should study about and be experts in alternative medicine?
11. Do you think alternative medicines are tried, tested and safe?
12. Why do you think so little is known about the health benefits of alternative medicine?
13. Which countries in the world have the best medicines?
14. Do you think we can find all the medicines we need from the natural world, instead of making drugs?
15. Would you like to try acupuncture?
16. What are your thoughts on traditional Chinese medicine?
17. Do you think the medicine in Western hospitals is alternative medicine in other countries?
18. What do you think of things like art therapy, music therapy, healing with animals, etc?
19. What would you like to know about alternative medicine?
20. Do you know anyone who uses alternative medicine?